Thursday 22 December 2011

Plum coloured starling.

Had a very rare visitor to my garden yesterday. The mulberry tree has suddenly started to bear fruit again, not many, but enough mulberries to interest the birds.




Plum coloured starling, (Cinnyricinclus leocogaster). I'm told by the birding experts that they have never seen one of these birds in this area. (Well there you have it, my claim to fame). As the bird is in the shade it's hard to see the plum colour. If you enlarge the picture it's just discernible.  




This bird was totally unaware of me and at ease, I watched and photographed it for 40 minutes or more.




Reaching for a mulberry. 




Female, the males win the fashion stakes once again.
Photo; Wikipedia.

3 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, how wonderful, Phillip. Yes, your claim to fame indeed if they're never seen in your area.
K

Mark Kautz said...

They give you any prize? You should get at least a new pair of binoculars for finding such a rare bird. Hey, I'm on your side.

Mark

icedgurl said...

trekking your amazing blog! keep blogging! happy holidays!

cheers!
...TREK...