Sunday 17 June 2012

Early morning splendour.

Every week I tell myself the same thing, "come Sunday and I'm going to lie in a bit." Come Sunday, what happens? I'm up at my usual time, drinking my first cup of coffee. This morning was no different, I sat in my chair watching the sun come up. Being mid winter the sun only comes up at 06:50, and I had been up since 5:30. (This is about 40 minutes later than my usual time, so I suppose I did lie in a bit).




Then, as if on cue, the show began.




Five minutes later the sun is visible through the branches.




And suddenly the whole glowing ball is visible, almost seems to be shaking itself free of the clutching branches. 


Even though I watch the sunrise most mornings, and have a fair understanding of the physical laws behind the spectacular light, I'm still enthralled by it just as Adam must have been when he saw his first sunrise.


Thursday the 21st is our winter solstice, and from Friday the sun starts rising a fraction earlier every morning so that by mid December it's up almost two and a half hours earlier than now. By November the sun and I will be in sync again, both up at the same time.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Oh wow, Phil. That sunrise is brilliant and reminds me of the spectacular ones I used to photograph from our rooftop flat in Khartoum! Love and blessings, Jo

Phillip said...

The air is so full of dust particles I'm not surprised that it looks like a Khartoum sunrise.

e.m.b. said...

Every weekend I tell myself the same thing...."sleep in." It never works for me either. But Oh! What sunrises!

Mark Kautz said...

Sometimes it's just hard to get a handle around everything being the opposite of what is going on here. Today we've got hot (mid-90's) and dry. Summer at it's finest.

Mark

Joyful said...

Beautiful splendour. I keep hearing that the older we get the less sleep we need. So far I haven't found that to be true. I am still not up with the sun, lol.