Sunday 1 January 2012

Spurrwinged Geese & small bass.

Took my 3 weight fly rod, some size 14 nymph and dry flies and walked to the dam just below the cottage. As I walked down I noticed two Spurrwinged geese, (Plectropterus  gambensis). These geese are found right through sub-Saharan Africa wherever there are wetlands.




These are very big birds, standing more than a metre tall. This is the gander.




Goose and gander together. I think these two birds are moulting as they look very scruffy, especially around the head.




Summer evenings are some of my favourite times, I take my 3 weight fly rod and fish for small bass. Almost an unthinking activity, no exertion, just flicking a small fly among the water weeds and grass and catch fish. Totally relaxing. 


Today was one of those those thundery  evenings with a spattering of rain now and then and the fish were overcome with a sort of suicidal madness, grabbing everything I threw at them.

3 comments:

Jo said...

I've only ever seen Egyptian geese here in Kenya, so good to get a close-up look at those Spurrwinged Geese. Where were the dogs while you fished? Love and blessings, Jo

Kay L. Davies said...

So, you eat fish every night? Nice little bass.
And the geese are very interesting, as they are so different from the ones I know, especially our iconic Canada Geese.
Yes, what DO the dogs do while you fish?

Tight lines and good fishing,
K

Gorges Smythe said...

Back when I used to fish, I noticed that they bit well before a rain or a storm. A friend's mother observed that the fish bit well whenever the green-flies were biting.