Monday 30 April 2012

St Mathews Anglican Church, Estcourt.

Drove into town early this morning to draw money from the ATM, get there too late and the line stretch around the block. On my way home I had to pass the Anglican church and the early morning sun was just starting to fall on it.


Click on photos to enlarge.




St Mathews Anglican church, "Church of the Province of South Africa, Dioceses of Natal", to give it, it's full title celebrated it's 140th anniversary last month.




The church was consecrated in 1872, though the establishment of the congregation itself goes back to the 1850's.




Side view of the church.




The tower was only added, so I've been told, 80 years later.




Close up of the tower.




Western view of the church. The whole church is built of dressed sandstone blocks. A perfect little English church in Africa.


This church has a vibrant and growing, mostly black congregation. 



3 comments:

Joyful said...

Lovely church esp. in the morning sunlight.

Gorges Smythe said...

I've never condoned building churches ofn ANT sort as long as there's one hungry child in the area, But I DO love the old architecture!

Jo said...

Oh wow, Phil, this post takes me back to the eighties when we attended St Matthews, I was church organist, Grant was a warden and John was an altar boy/server. I remember how beautiful and how COLD this church was in winter. I hope you got to the ATM but glad you got these photos instead. Enjoy your week. Love Jo