Saturday 28 April 2012

The Italian leprechaun and I took one of our rare trips to the big city of Pietermaritzburg, more to prevent cabin fever than any real need. Stopped over at our favourite coffee shop, had breakfast and of course coffee. Afterwards we went to Exclusive Books, just to look, but ended up buying two books each.


On the way back we stopped on the road bridge that carries the four lane N3 highway over the Bushmans river so that I could photograph the Wagendrif dam wall. I have previously posted a photo of this dam which was taken with my Blackberry phone camera. This photo was taken with my Canon Powershot SX40HS camera. 


Click on photo to enlarge.




This dam was built just above the spot where the old wagon road to the north crossed the river, wagen, is old Afrikaans/Dutch for wagon, and a drif means a ford in the river. Later a low level road bridge was built in the same spot and it stood, for almost a hundred years, until the floods of 1987 which washed most of it away.


Tonight the Italian leprechaun and I will have one of our regular "braais" (BBQ's), where the entree will be meat, the main course will be meat, and the desert will be meat, (rump steak and spare ribs), washed down with a few beers. None of these nonsens ideas that women have about salads at a braai.


To tell the truth, about the only time I ever eat meat is at a braai.

3 comments:

kare said...

WoW! This looks like a painting!

My Hubbee agree's with your
"braai philosophy"
No silly green stuff;>

Kay L. Davies said...

Gorgeous photo when enlarged, Phillip. And your braai philosophy made me think of my dad and his fishing partners, who took a large cooler full of steaks on their fishing trips. Now I can't remember if he told that story in one of his books or not. I remember it from my childhood, when Mom and my brother and sister and I were home eating hamburger and macaroni.
Dad never did like salad. LOL
K

Mark Kautz said...

That's a great photo. I like the fountain in front. It's a great design for a dam.

Mark