Monday 6 February 2012

Reed Cormorant & Wattled Lapwing.

Got lucky Saturday afternoon late,  and managed to photograph a Reed Cormorant. These birds are usually very skittish and fly away as soon as they see you. Took these photos on maximum zoom.


Click on photos to enlarge and see detail.




Reed Cormorant, (Phalacrocorax africanus). Head cocked to one side and keeping a beady eye on me.




Note how the webbed feet are adapted for holding on to branches. Egyptian geese have the same ability and love sitting in trees near water.




The African Wattled Lapwings have started to get used to the dogs and I, and let us get to within 40 meters to take these photos, rather than the usual almost 200 meters. Here the wattles can be clearly seen.




The birds feathers are all ruffled as there was a chilly east wind blowing.

5 comments:

spotted face said...

Interesting looking creatures, those wattled lapwings. Great pics.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, excellent shots of the wattled lapwings, Phillip. And I'm interested in your reed cormorants, too. The red-footed boobies in the south Pacific have webbed feet adapted to hanging onto tree branches, also.
The cormorants I've seen have not had waterproof feathers, and they must hold their wings out so that they'll dry. Are yours like that, too? Well, I guess I could look it up, couldn't I?
Interesting photos today.
K

Joyful said...

These photos have such great clarity. The more I see your photos, Phil, the more I want a new camera like yours, l ol.

Joel said...

Nice pictures of lovely birds. It's interesting to see them. Thanks for showing them.

Phillip said...

Kay, These cormorants feathers are also not waterproof.