Sunday 28 July 2013

Book fair.

Twice a year I organise a book fair day at school. Shaun of Books 2 You, brings his collection of books and displays them in our school hall. Shaun's books are very cheap as he visits the UK and the USA twice a year where he buys remnants directly from the publishers and then imports them into South Africa. Shaun's books average from R45 - R120. That's about $4.50 - $12 US.

We had a two day book fair in February and this one from the 25th July to the 26th July. 

Click to enlarge.


A view of Shaun's mobile shelves that are wheeled into the venue, opened up and all the books are in place and displayed.



Books for preschoolers and grade 1 & 2.


The tables contain non-fiction books and the shelves fiction. Hundreds of titles to choose from.


I usually spend about R7,000 at each book fair, but when Shaun arrived for this one I had almost depleted my budget for books, so I only spent about R1,200. The learners on the other hand bought almost R10,000 worth of books, that's an awful lot of books at those prices.

5 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

You can't have too many books. I've got book cases full.

Joyful said...

Wonderful. I love books and the people who like to read ;-)

Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jo said...

What a nifty way to transport and display books at a fair! I wish we had these books for the school for the blind which has 80% Albino and seeing children which we visited last week. See my blog on Tuesday. I'll have photos of the "library" complete with huge books of braille. Enjoy your week, big-bruv! Love Jo xxx

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Phillip, this is exactly the sort of thing I loved when I was a child. Books, books, and more books.
I still have a few of my childhood books, and some from high school and college. The great thing about getting older is: I can re-read books I've read before and, unless I've read them three or four times, the story feels brand-new!
K