Follow by Email

Sunday, 14 September 2014

First fish of summer.

Bass fishing in South Africa usually takes in the summer, that is all the month's that have and "r" in them.

Took a #6 fly rod down to one of the farm ponds and tried my luck, well first cast and I caught a nice small-mouthed bass. These bass are real fighters and give you a good run for your money.

Click to enlarge.



+/- 2 lbs.


Same fish, photo by Enrico Bucceri, a.k.a., the Italian Leprechaun. The following photos were all taken by Enrico.


I look a bit startled here, but this photo gives a nice idea of the size of the fish.



Tombi watching me cast. I think I have mentioned it before, Tombi means young girl in Zulu. Not so young any more +/- 14 years old now.


 Strike!



Second bass, small but gave a good account of itself.



Third fish, slightly bigger than the second. I caught four fish and missed several, think the hook was a bit blunt. 

My fly was a large "woolly bugger".

2 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I won't go into why I don't do it anymore, but I must say that I truly miss fishing. I hope you have a wonderful summer.

Mark Kautz-Shoreman said...

Good to see you wetting a line again. Farm ponds always seem good for a Bass or six.