Thursday 20 December 2012

Holiday & news of Smokey.

Our schools closed on the 7th December for the learners and on the 11th for teachers and other staff, so I have been on holiday for the last nine days with four weeks left. I meant to do a lot of fly fishing for trout on our mountain streams but it has rained buckets almost every day and the river are all raging torrents. At last count at least ten people have drowned trying to cross rivers in our province and many had to be rescued by police and other emergency services, happens every year. Hopefully the weather settles and I can get some fishing in.

All doubts that I had about Cat the cat accepting Smokey as part of the family vanished a couple of night ago when Cat came in with a small mouse he had caught and gave it to Smokey to play with. Smokey grabbed the mouse, growling ferociously at the dogs if the dared to come near, then he proceeded to "kill" it and generally do what cats do with mice. All the while Cat the cat lay on a chair watching Smokey's antics with a look on his face that said, "That's my boy", as if he had anything to do with it.


Smokey with his first mouse.

2 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

We, on the other hand, have bats. Smudge was the worst when he caught one. There was almost no way I could get it from him while he growled the entire time. Sounds like Cat the Cat is a good mouser and Smokey is on his way.

Kay L. Davies said...

Smokey has a mentor and soon will have a job. Do you think Cat wants to retire from mousing or will they do it as a team?
Once, when I had two cats, I came home to find a headless mouse in my hallway. I checked both faces (both white) and couldn't find a clue on either of them.
K