Friday 16 September 2011

Reekie Lyn

Tomorrow I'm hoping to fish this stretch of the Mooi River on the farm Reekie Lyn.




This is a brown trout stream. Most of the fish are said to be quite small, but fish of up to 2lbs have been taken recently. Taking my three weight TFO Finese Series rod that I built up last December from a kit I ordered From J Stockard.  




There is about 7km of river to fish, which should keep me busy for the better part of the day. We had some good rain on Monday night so the water levels should be good.


Photo credits; Natal Fly Fishers Club. (www.nffc.co.za)


Mooi Afrikaans for pretty. Many rivers in South Africa were named Mooi river by the Afrikaans pioneers. Water was scares and I suppose every river looked pretty.

3 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

It's the word "reekie" that attracted me, Phillip. I've always thought of it as Scottish, but I looked in up today and see it is Old English with Germanic origins, and not derived from the Gaelic atallatall.
I hope you pick up some trout for the pan.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Joyful said...

It looks like a very pleasant place to spend the day. Happy fishing!

Mark Kautz said...

Looks very "Brown Trout" to me. Go get 'em.

Mark